Friday, November 21, 2008

Why do people go to counseling?

Why do people want counseling? The world is looking for someone to say what they are doing is ok/ not sin. Most issues mentally/physically are rooted in sin. (I want to remove the most- yet I must remember Job, so I cannot). It is amazing how sick a person can make themselves when out of a right relationship with God.

What does the Bible tell us to do? Cast all our cares upon Jesus? Carry everything to the Lord. In all things with prayer and supplication. Thanksgiving unto the Lord.

I see scripture pointing man to God in the time of help, need, question. Did not God make me? Did not God know all things as I was in my mother's womb? Does not God know all things?

I know many people out there believe in Biblical Counseling. As does a radio show I like to listen to Return to the Word. I personally do not know anyone who has tried Biblical Counseling and had positive results. I do believe Return to the Word has seen some counseling do good. I also believe they believe in pointing the person to Christ/God for answers.


There have been times I have wanted to just run to someone, tell them my problem(s) so they can help me 'work' through them. God is so wonderful. God has shown me how and why this is the wrong way of doing things.

1. This is one way rumors start. Remember the only one who can be trusted 100% all the time is God. And what about those prayer requests we hear in church? So many times they really are just a form a gossip in the name of a prayer request. There are so many verses in Proverbs regarding the words/mouth. Many refer to talking to much is the same as a fool. Not a comforting thought. Yet, counselor's encourage talking things out. Many times we need to spend more time in the Scripture and in prayer.
2. God is my counselor. Isaiah 9:6 With God as my counselor I am getting truly what I need to hear. Gods word-The Holy Bible is the best counseling a person can receive.
3. My Jehovah azar (The Lord my Helper-Psalm 30:10). Learning to allow God be the one helping me has helped to learn patience. I person running from place to place looking for answers is not a very patient person, nor one at peace.
4. Is not God El Qana (The Jealous God-Exodus 34:14)? God has shown me that He wants to be my all in all, my Everything. Why should I be looking to others (who can and will fail me) for my answers in life.
5. And Elohim Yakol (The God who is Able-Daniel 3:17). This has been an interesting lesson as God revealed himself to me as being Able. Don't most who are raised in the 'church' taught that God has power and is able. Yet how many of us truly believe this? I remember reading and praying 2 Ephesians prayers (Eph. 1:15-31 and Eph. 3:17-21) many times a day for a couple months. Meditating and asking God to show me what the words truly meant. Ephesians 3:20 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us," God took the time necessary to show me just how able He is of taking care of me.
6. Jehovah-Jireh (The Lord will Provide-Genesis 22:14) This was specifically a hard lesson. As American's in a prosperous nation we do not have much in the way of a true need. God had to take us as a family through some financial need. I was taught all my life, if you follow this such and such a plan you will have no needs. Fine and true. But it never taught me to rely on God as my provider.
7. Rumn Ro'sh (The One who lifts my head Psalm 3:3) The lesson learning here has gone a bit with the Jehovah-Jireh lesson. Learning that every breath I take is of God. I will only take my next breath if God allows it. God is the One who keeps me up right. Not by any strength of my own. Remember the song Read your Bible pray every day and you will grow grow grow. I can think back to the times I experimented with this. Seeing just how many days I could go without and how things went. It really is true on must be in the Word of God daily and in consent prayer.
8. Olam Zerowa (The Everlasting Arms- Deuteronomy 33:26-29) This has been a favorite. God has shown me how He loves me so much-His arms are there to care and hold me. God is truly amazing.
9. Cether (My Hiding Place-Psalm 32:7) I have so enjoyed being able to hide in my God, such security. Psalms 91 was the scripture God used to help me understand how I can hide in Him, His protection. I am not even talking about need for physical protection. We all have times in our lives that we need/want our emotions to be protected. What great freedom knowing that God can and will take care of my emotional protection.
10. Chyahlooth (My Strength-Psalm 22:19) Learning to allow God to be my strength in the time of need has been quit a struggle. Having been raised as a liberal woman. Not doing things in my power/strength can be quit a battle with the Lord.

So why does man go to man for answers/help mostly they I want a human to tell them the way of the world is ok and or want someone to take pity, feel sorry for me. You know looking for justification for their ways. What we really need to do is learn to rely 100% upon God first. Give God time. It just might happen to be that God wants us to learn to wait upon Him.

I also want to add, after God, we as wives are to go to our husbands to learn, ask questions. And whom we as wives talk to after that needs to be in agreement with our husbands-they are our head. Dawn

No comments: